Saturday, September 23, 2006

David Lynch Is Insane

Okay, I realize that if you've seen his films you've already had your suspicions. But, after watching the following clip, you'll have to agree it's a done deal. Taken from a BBC interview, his Lynchness attempts to focus the voices in his head into one coherent thought in order to explain his "eye of the duck" theory and how it pertains to life and film-making. He does not succeed (at least not in the eyes of us non batshit-crazy types).
And, as a bonus, here is Siskel and Ebert's original review of Lynch's Blue Velvet. Although Siskel has a handle on the film's twisted sensibilities (even seeming to have enjoyed it) Ebert is obviously over his head. In fact, he can't even focus enough to review the film. All he can do is worry about the mental state of the actors after being "forced" to work with such a madman as Lynch.

5 Comments:

Blogger Russell Arch said...

What? "Eye of the Duck"... shapes and colors. Rooms are a "two"... people are (most often) a "seven". Makes perfect sense to me. I can't understand why you'd criticize such a brilliant. Wait... oh shit! I'm crazy aren't I?

2:32 AM  
Blogger Russell Arch said...

As for the second video. I find it funny that it's Ebert who has such a problem with "victimizing" women by having them partake in senseless nudity.

After all, this dude was close friends with Russ Meyer. In fact, he even co-wrote "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" which (for those who've seen it) is chock-full of meaningless nudity/violence.

Am I sensing some guilt here Roger?

2:38 AM  
Blogger kingaengland said...

Vindication...finally.
I watched Dune and was not as "impressed" as I remember others being.
then a few years later, all the fanfare that was "Twin Peaks" left me feeling like I was living "The emperor wore no clothes", fable.
it's nice to read that it was David Lynch and not me who had lost his mind.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Lynch filled the cinematic void left empty by Stanley Kubrick.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only does Lynch make logical, if imperfect sense. Finally, for the rest of us, the meaning of life, encapsulated.

Or? Perhaps,early onset?

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home