Monday, November 13, 2006

The Man, The Myth, The Eye


Jack Elam, one of my all-time favorites, was born on this date in 1918. He started out his career playing "The Heavy" but I'll always remember him for his comedic turns in Support Your Local Sheriff and The Cannonball Run. So think kindly of the homely ol' bugger today and, if you happen upon someone with a wall-eye of their own, feel free to thank 'em for all they do in keeping the world interesting.

Elam trivia:
1) he lost the sight in his left eye after another Boy Scout stabbed him with a pencil during a fight at a troop meeting.
2) He "retired" to Ashland, Oregon many years back and died at home there in 2003. (I went to school there in the 80's and we used to see him shuffling around town once in a while).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did NOT just post a blog about the great Jack Elam. What gives you the RIGHT, Ryan???

So sorry I wasn't able to meet you when you were down here. I dropped hints but I suspect the Arches intended to keep us apart. Perhaps they didn't want the universe to implode.

Y'know, I now suddenly and fondly recall the flick "Aurora Encounter" where Elam played the dude befriended by the alien with the genetic disease Progeria (okay, rather the kid PLAYING the alien had Progeria). Then (later) I saw some special on Jack where he and the kid were hanging out as good buds who stayed in touch post-production. One of the most gorgeous two-misfits-find-each-other-in-a-world-of-shit relationships I've ever seen.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Bowler Hat Productions said...

"Anonymous"?

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home